The old farm is located in the Vredener Stadtpark, directly on the banks of the Berkel. It consists of eleven buildings, which were moved from various places in the district of Borken here. As an ensemble, they give an insight into the old construction, living and working of medium-sized farms in Westmünsterland. The ensemble is now a listed building and will no longer be expanded.
Click on the little arrows and find out more about the eleven buildings of the farm ...
Click on the small arrows and learn more about the eleven buildings of the courtyard complex...
Hof Früchting from Vreden-Ellewick - The main house was built in 1712 as a two storey construction with a thatched roof. Humans and animals lived here in a room with an exposed fireplace. During the widening of the building in 1804, the framework had to give way to solid masonry made of field bricks; the roof was covered with hollow bricks. Only in 1841 were the areas of living and working – for people and animals - separated by a middle wall. A wall fireplace and floor made of so-called "Esterkes" were introduced into the kitchen. In addition, the living room received stove heating.
Hof Ewers-Hüsing from Ahaus-Ammeln - The two floor storeroom was built on the occasion of a wedding. The inscription above the front door reads: ANNO 1783 DEN 29 OCTOBER IOHANN HERMAN HÜSING ANNA CATHARINA ISING. The building served as a warehouse for threshed grain and crops such as potatoes, dried peas, beans, herbs and seeds. In the storeroom, the harvest beer was also brewed - washed and often baked as well. In addition, the workshop of the court - the "Timmerkaamer" - often took place here.
Pachthof Verwohlt-Buskort from Vreden-Ellewick - The outbuildings originally consisted of seven structures, of which only four could be rebuilt due to lack of space. The coach house is from the early 20th century. The wood was cut with a circular saw and the framework is interlocked with wire nails. The red roof tiles were made by machine. Such outbuildings were built in very different sizes and can still be found today on almost every property in Westmünsterland. They are used to park vehicles and work equipment, to temporarily store crops, and as a weather-protected workplaces outdoors.
Hof Früchting from Vreden-Ellewick - This building originally belonged to the residential building Früchting, which forms the core of the facility in the city park. It was built in 1752 as a sheep pen by Zeller Früchting on his farm in Vreden-Ellewick and later served there as a barn and horse stable before being moved in 1955 to a meadow in Gaxel. After storm damage in 2007, the building was disassembled, rebuilt in 2017 in the courtyard in the city park, and now serves as a forge and rope factory.
Hof Hassels-Hüsing from Ahaus-Ammeln - The "Muuseschoppe" (mouse shed) was built in the second half of the 18th century by the carpenter Hassels-Hüsing. It served as an oat barn on the approximately 17-acre farm. The oats, which were mostly untrashed and used as horse food, had to be well protected against moisture (otherwise the horses would not eat them anymore). However, in the dry barn they would quickly become victim to the mice without safety precautions. In the "Muuseschoppe", the floor of the building lies on nine conical pillars made of Bentheimer sandstone, which in turn are covered with sheet-metal protected sandstone slabs. This construction prevents the entry of rodents.
Hof Enxing from Vreden-Crosewick - This stable represents a now very rare type of building, which used to be widely used on farms in Westmünsterland. Flocks of sheep were common livestock, mainly because of their cheap fertilizer - secondarily because of their wool. The sheep stable was built around 1825, partly from second-hand wood, as a two-sided roof construction. The brick masonry, on which four of the five half-timbered beams support, rests on a pedestal made of boulders. The roof, which was originally covered with thatch, was covered in gray-blue hand-painted bricks when it was rebuilt in the city park.
Hof Schulze Hessing from Südlohn-Oeding - The three-storey half-timbered building is fitted with clay bricks. The protruding gables above are made of poplar wood and painted with ox blood paint. The building was originally located on a moat. Therefore, a longitudinal passage, as was common in ground-level corn barns, was not possible. There is a wide door on this building facing the courtyard gable through which the horses were led out of the barn. The harvesting wagon had to be pushed backwards after unloading. The building was built in the first quarter of the 19th century.
Hof Gebing-Große Woltering from Vreden-Crosewick - This oven without a chimney from the second half of the 19th century was used for roasting flax. This operation made the area surrounding the fibers brittle, later making the breaking of the stalk under the so-called Flachsbreche or Flassbrauke much easier.
Hof Bäumer from Legden - The inscription above the entrance of the single-storey building reads H.L.l.j.l. - IjF.7 N 1843 KÜ. Apart from a reference to the carpenter Küpers from Asbeck, the meaning of the inscription is unclear. In the bakery storage, located next to the oven and the bakery, there is also a brewing room and a semi-basement, which originally served as a beer cellar. Potatoes were probably stored there later. Often, the workshop of the court was housed in stores of this kind, as was also found in the Hofanlage Früchting.
Hof Hüning from Vreden Ammeloe - The mill was built in 1811 by the married couple Hermine Huning (nè Eßling) and Johann Bernhard Huning, the same year in which freedom of trade was introduced in Prussia. It stood in Huningbach until 1978, whereupon it was relocated due to land consolidation. This is the last watermill in Vreden. The one and a half-storey building is equipped with a half-hipped roof. On the middle level are the two grind gears with two grindstones from Eifeler Blaubasalt. It took two years to rebuild the watermill in the Vredener Stadtpark, which was carried out by the Möllenkring of the Heimatverein.
Heuerlingshaus from Hof Schulze Ebbing in Südlohn - The small half-timbered building of this type of a low German hall house was originally constructed with clay and covered with thatch. Here humans and animals lived together and the fire burned in the middle of the kitchen. Numerous conversions and improvements over the years led to its current state. The basic structure of a two-storey house with five crossbeams is clearly recognizable. The building was given brick lining, a wall-mounted fireplace with a chimney and a partition wall between the hall and the living area. Built in 1749, the house was inhabited from 1912 until the death of Bernhard Schlüter in 1980. The Kotten had just over 9 acres of land. The inhabitants kept three cows, some pigs and poultry.